1 Single-Vendor Commercial Open Source Business Model
OOSMOS, LLC uses the Single-Vendor Commercial Open Source Business Model as
a paper by Dirk Riehle
of Friedrich-Alexander-University in Erlangen, Germany.
Because OOSMOS, LLC owns the copyright to
we are able to offer two licenses:
One very important aspect of this business model is that we
cannot accept outside contributions to the code base unless the contributor
transfers the copyright to those changes over
to OOSMOS, LLC.
- An open source GPLv2 license for the open source community.
Many different terms are used for this kind of license, namely, restrictive, viral,
reciprocal and copyleft.
- A commercial license that supersedes the GPL license allowing
companies to integrate
into their commercial products and distribute them without the GPL restrictions.
This type of license is called a permissive license.
(See section 3.2 of
Dirk Riehle's paper
2 GPLv2 License
By downloading this software, you agree to abide by the terms of the
GNU GPLv2 license.
Rather than attempt to highlight the terms of GPLv2 and run the risk of
introducing ambiguities, we point you to the following resources instead:
3 Commercial License
You may use this software without the GPLv2 restrictions
by entering into a commercial license
with OOSMOS, LLC. The commercial license is
granted on a "perpetual per product name" basis.
3.1 Same Code Base
The commercial code base is the same as the GPLv2 code base. Therefore,
if your company has purchased a commercial license to use
in your product, you may download and use the current and
any future version of
from our website.
Therefore, we encourage everyone to download
learn, experiment and create product prototypes. Later, if you decide to
in a commercial product, you only need
to obtain an
commercial license prior to shipping
that product. No need to take delivery of a separate commercial version.
3.2 Perpetual Per Product Name
licenses are granted perpetually
per product name. If your
company develops another product using a different name, then a separate
commercial license must be obtained before shipping that
3.3 Licensing Procedure
- Email email@example.com the following information:
- Corporate Name.
- Procurement postal mailing address.
- Procurement email address.
- Target Product Name. (Licenses are issued as "perpetual per Product Name".)
- License fee. (See
- We will email you an
OOSMOS Commercial License Agreement in PDF form.
- You sign the Commercial License Agreement and send it back to us.
- We will email an invoice to your procurement email address.
- You provide payment to us by any agreed upon means.
- Once payment is confirmed, we will sign and return the fully executed
Commercial License Agreement in PDF form via email.